Friday, February 11, 2011

My favorite turkey meatloaf

The last time I made this was a while ago. It was ok, but I think I might have found my favorite. I was super excited. It came out very moist and well-flavored. The prep time lasts about 10-15 mins, which is a plus because I don't have a lot of time to invest in making dinner, although it took 1hr 30 mins to be fully cooked in the oven at 350.

Ingredients:
- 2.5 - 3 lbs of turkey (yep, we are meat lovers)
- 1 egg
- 1 - 1.5 cup of crushed corn chips
- 1/2 - 1 cup of salsa from the can (I used mild)
- Seasoning: 1 tsp soy sauce, 2 tsp balsamic vinegar, 1 tsp oregano, 1 tbs brown sugar, 1/8 tsp onion powder, salt & pepper.
I mixed all those ingredients with the ground turkey in a ziploc bag because I didn't want to wash dishes, lol. But it might be easier doing it a bowl. Then, I spread them in the baking pan.


Top the meatloaf with 6 slices of Havarti cheese (our favorite cheese for sandwiches), 1 chopped tomato, and some dried basil. You can also substitute the tomato for a layer of salsa as well; I would have tried if I had more salsa. I thought this would act like a thin blanket over the meat and keep it moist. It did turn out pretty moist so far :)

Cover it with tin foil and bake in the oven at 350 for 1.5 hours. Initially I planned to check it after a half hour, but after the first 30 min I didn't see that it was cooked so I added 1 extra hour to make sure it was fully cooked. I didn't get to check during the hour because we had some people over and I was not paying attention to the time. Luckily, it was fine :)


I love turkey meatloaf. 

With this much food, we had plenty of left overs for a few dinners in the future, a plus for me so I don't have to cook too often.

We truly enjoyed every single bite of our dinner. I'm glad this experiment turned out nicely. It really doesn't happen often enough. (Brett's note:  Yes it does.  I love when Chummy experiments.  Her food is awesome.  My growing waistline is proof that her experiments work out all the time.) 

2 comments:

Moon said...

Chuc mung nam moi Chummy :). Nam moi may man, nhieu niem vui nhe. (Mon turkey ngon qua uc uc)

Steve + Rachel said...

That looks so yummy! ... I'm glad you added our blog. It's fun to know what's going on in your life too. We'll definitely keep everyone posted on our upcoming adventures. ... I'll have to try this recipe! :o)