Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Ruoc {Vietnamese dried pork}

So, it's been a while since I made some true Vietnamese dishes. I absolutely love ruoc'. I used to eat it like everyday for breakfast with Banh Mi when I was in junior high. Banh Mi is a French baguette style bread that usually has different types of meat and sausage filling. They're really tasty. If you're in Vietnam it's so easy to find street vendors that sell Banh Mi. There are a few places that you can get this in the Salt Lake City area like Hong Phat Market or Pho Saigon in West Valley. But you don't find Banh Mi Ruoc here just because it is a little too simple.



This is the first time I ever tried to make ruoc. I used to make them with my mom and it was not simple and usually took forever. It's actually quite easy although my way still takes a while.

First, I use my slow cooker to cook the meat (1-2 lbs of boneless ribs) for about 3 hours. The seasoning is paprika and salt & pepper. I love how I can just toss them into the slow cooker and forget about it until 3 hours later.

Then, I use the potato smasher to smash the meat that has been cooked and tenderized. Also, I use a fork to separate the meat. It's like making pulled pork.





The last step is to dry the meat by cooking it on the stove for about 45 minutes.


It is finally done. I prefer the golden brown color while some might like it more brown :)

No comments: